Mini Strawberry Daiquiri Cupcakes21:44
I know this is not a very fashion or beauty related post but if there's one thing I love just as much, it's cakes, and when I have the time I love to do a spot of baking. There's nothing I find more therapeutic than whipping up a delicious cake or batch of cupcakes, then once they're baked who doesn't love to indulge in some yummy sweet treats?! Whilst browsing my Hummingbird Bakery book I came across these mini cocktail cupcakes which I thought would make the perfect little summer's day treat.
100ml White Rum
170g Caster Sugar
40g Unsalted Butter
120g Plain Flour
1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 of a tsp Salt
1 Large Egg
120ml Whole Milk
1/2 a tsp Vanilla Essence
80g Unsalted Butter
250g Icing Sugar
1/2 a tsp of finely grated lime zest
4 tsp whole milk
1. Put the rum and 30g of the caster sugar in a small pan and bring to the boil until it has reduced by half and set aside to cool. Chop the strawberries and soak in the rum for 30 - 40 mins.
2. Whilst the strawberries are soaking mix together the flour, butter, remaining caster sugar, baking powder and salt until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
3. Mix the egg, milk and vanilla in a jug and with the mixer on a low speed gradually pour it into the flour mixture. Then whisk thoroughly until fully mixed.
4. Line a mini muffin tray with mini muffin cases. Drain the strawberries, reserving the liquid, and place a few small pieces of strawberry in each case.
5. Spoon the cake batter on top, filling each case by two thirds. Then bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 C (325 F) for 12-15 minutes.
6. Whilst the cakes are still warm spoon 1/2 a teaspoon of the rum reduction from the pan over each cake and then leave to cool before frosting.
7. For the frosting, mix together the butter, icing sugar and lime zest. In a jug, mix together the milk and 4 teaspoons of the rum reduction, then pour into the butter mixture whilst still mixing on a low speed. Increase the whisk speed and mix until light and fluffy. Pipe onto cupcakes and decorate with chopped strawberries.
These were super yummy and I'm thinking about giving the Mojito ones a go next. Hope you liked this post and would love to know if you would like to see more? As baking is something I also really enjoy doing and would love to do more posts like this if you would like to see them.