Gooey Chocolate Easter Nest Cupcakes14:18
I hope you're all having a lovely Easter and have indulged in plenty of chocolate. To celebrate I made these delicious Easter cupcakes and thought I'd share it with you in case you have any Mini Eggs or Easter chocolate you need to use up and want to give them a try.
For the cakes:
100g dark chocolate, chopped
100g unsalted butter
125g soft brown sugar (dark or light)
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g self raising flour, sifted
2 packs of Rolos
Dulce de leche
125g unsalted butter
240g icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp Dulce de leche
100g dark chocolate
Makes 10-12 cupcakes
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°c/gas mark 4 and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases. Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the chopped chocolate and gently melt together. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
2. Beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla extract, then add the melted chocolate and mix until fully combined. Add the flour and mix again.
3. Chop the Rolos into quarters and stir into the cake mixture. Fill the cases until they are about 2/3 full and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
4. Leave the cupcakes to cool fully. Then cut out the centre of the cupcakes to about 2/3 of the way down, I use a metal icing nozzle to do this and save the pieces of cake you have cut out. Fill each cupcake with approximately 1tsp of Dulce de leche and then pop the piece of cake you cut out back on top. This pushes the caramel down so you have a nice gooey filled centre with no gaps.
5. To make the buttercream, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add half the icing sugar and beat until fully combined, before beating in the milk then the rest of the icing sugar. Beat for a few minutes for a nice light buttercream and then mix in the Dulce de leche (you can add as much or as little caramel to the buttercream as you like but as the cupcakes are filled with caramel I like just a subtle hint of it in the buttercream). Then pipe around the edge of each cupcake.
6. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Then break up the Shredded Wheat and add gradually to the chocolate until it is fully covered by the melted chocolate and holds together. Top the centre of each cupcake with the Shredded Wheat mixture and sit the Mini Eggs on top.
7. Leave to set and enjoy!
If you've been making or indulging in any Easter treats this weekend let me know, and I'd love to see if you give these a try, you can tag me on instagram or twitter.